Artist Residency Program
Spannocchia has been home to many artists for more than a century who have been inspired by its beautiful grounds and immersed themselves in their artistic work. Situated on a 1000-acre preserve, Spannocchia is the ideal setting for artists to be surrounded by nature and history, and enjoy a quiet pace of life allowing for reflection with minimal distractions. For decades, we have opened our doors to visiting artists and educational groups and provided Spannocchia as a venue and backdrop for their work. We are seeking to deepen our connection to the artistic community by providing an emerging artist with an opportunity to live and work at Spannocchia. It is our hope that our resident artist will be inspired by the culture of Italy, the dramatic backdrop of the Tuscan countryside and the preservation of our estate and will become a part of our vibrant international community.
A selection committee will award one annual residence opportunity to an emerging artist for a period of two months from June 3rd to August 4th, 2019. The artist will receive a studio space in the 12th century tower and an apartment on the property with a fully equipped kitchen. Some meals will also be provided including breakfast daily and dinner in the main Villa three times a week. The artist resident will be responsible for their own international travel arrangements. Transportation to and from Siena upon arrival and departure can be arranged. Upon completion of the residency, artists are asked to donate a work of art to commemorate their time living at Spannocchia. Donated works will be displayed throughout the property to memorialize past residents and demonstrate to our guests and visitors the importance of Spannocchia’s continued commitment to the arts.
- Nomination deadline: Monday, November 30th, 2018
- Applications due: Monday, January 15, 2019
- Notification Date: February 15, 2019
- Residency Dates: June 3rd – August 4th, 2019
How it Works
Applicants for our residency program are nominated by a committee of established artists, academics and critics. Nominees with receive an invitation to apply to our program by November 30th, 2018. Each member of the nomination committee may recommend up to four artists. In order for a nominee to be considered, a completed application must be received by January 15, 2019. Only nominated candidates may apply and a review jury will make final selections. If you are interested in being considered for nomination, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications must Include:
- Resume or Biography (2,000 word limit).
- 10 Image files OR up to 10 video or audio files not exceeding a combined length of 5 minutes. Limit image resolutions to 1280 pixels on longest side at 72dpi. For video, please use .mp4 or .mov formats. For audio, please submit mp3 or wav formats. Important: The artist’s name must not be stated in any submitted work.
- A corresponding item list of titles, medium, size, date and up to a 50-word description of each item.
- Suggested project proposal (500 word limit)
- Other Information (500 word limit) including how Spannocchia is relevant to your work.
- Two completed reference forms.
Eligibility requirements for the Spannocchia Artist Residency include:
- Emerging to mid-career visual artist.
- Demonstrated record of artistic accomplishment.
- Proficiency in spoken English.
- Ability to independently arrange travel to and from Spannocchia.
- Self-reliant and flexible.
Nominees will NOT be considered eligible if:
- They are current undergraduate students and MFA students.
- They are unable to be obtain a visa to for 60 days of travel in Europe.
The residency is awarded through a careful nomination and jury process by a rotating group of distinguished artists, academics, and critics. Applicants from around the world that are emerging or mid-career will be considered.
Please note, Spannocchia is unable to provide applicants with individual feedback about their proposals