Support Friends of Spannocchia
In 1991, Spannocchia was at a crossroads…
Our website highlights this key moment in Spannocchia’s history, when Francesca Cinelli—the granddaughter of the longtime estate owner Delfino Cinelli—and her husband Randall Stratton decided to move their young family from the U.S. to Spannocchia, in the hopes of preserving the property and its historic character.
They restored buildings, revived the farming operation with organic methods, expanded the range of education courses, initiated an intern program, and increased agritourism activity. All was done with the utmost respect for the historic nature of the property and was guided by lessons from the past. Since 2002, Friends of Spannocchia (originally the Spannocchia Foundation) has run the onsite internship and educational programming, but Randall and Francesca’s commitment to these efforts has remained steadfast—and, in fact, critical to Spannocchia’s existence since their decision three decades ago. Their unparalleled vision and unwavering commitment has shaped Spannocchia into what it is today. For that, we thank them, and we invite you to as well.
Spannocchia has always embraced reflecting on the past while looking to the future. And we’re not done. As we share gratitude for the work of the last 30 years, we’re dedicated to continuing our mission of education, conservation, and community—hopefully for the next 30 years and beyond. Thank you for your support!
Become a Member
Agriculture and tourism are only part of what we do at Spannocchia. Our primary mission is for the estate to serve as an international model for sustainability and an educational center for responsible farming and tourism practices. Through membership donations, we are able to create a place for people to experience the authentic history of rural Tuscany as well as modern sustainable farming practices at work.
Donations through memberships help us preserve the estate, run educational programs and underwrite the costs of our internship program. We wouldn’t be Spannocchia without a little help from our friends.
In return, we promise that once you stay at Spannocchia, you’ll always have family in Italy!
Benefits for Members
Membership at any level allows you to reserve accommodations at Spannochia for a visit with friends or family. While you are here you’ll also enjoy:
- 10% discount on ALL our store products.
- Special discounted pricing for tours and activities including cooking classes and tastings.
- A FREE historical tour of the Castello.
- A complimentary copy of our printed Guest Book that includes helpful suggestions and recommendations for day trips, restaurants and tours.
Members continue to enjoy a variety of benefits after (or before!) their visit:
- Ongoing updates about the organization including occasional gardening tips, classic Italian recipes, information on upcoming programs and sustainability news.
- Advance access to imported Spannocchia products in the U.S.
- Special member-only travel offers for discounted farmhouse rentals or B&B stays.